Sunday, September 19, 2010

Kindle 3 Vs Nook: Product review

Kindle 3 Vs Nook: Product reviews
In every good e-reader, all will look for 5 main things, before I purchase
  • Cost for the reader & the ebooks I download                                   
  • Storage space
  • Battery life
  • Look & feel
  • Weight
I looked at the two most competing e-reader categories - Kindle 3 & Nook, before buying 1 for me. Here is the details & summary of what I found... Hope it is useful to you.

Kindle Vs Nook

Kindle 3:  Advantages
Kindle beats heads-down Nook in the storage (3GB Vs 2GB), and battery life (without WiFi: 1month Vs 10 days), and the Kindle reader is cheaper by 10 bucks ($139/$189 Vs $149/$199). But you would have to spend money in shipping your favorite Kindle, but you can get a Nook for free. Or you can buy an additional $25 worth of Super saver shipping items from Amazon, and get Kindle shipped for free. I don't really bother about the extra $15 (or the shipping cost) I might have to spend here. The Kindle looks good, sleek and thinner than the Nook, and this is something important for me to consider, esp. since I will be taking it out with me. Kindle is much lighter than the Nook and I love it.

Nook advantages
Nook seems to beat Kindle in terms of free shipping & book selections, as per their respective websites, but I don't really bother about those, as I have all my books in Amazon. If you are Chess or sudoku buff, then you get these apps with the Nook. It has a color touch pad at the bottom too.

Neutral
In both, you might have to spend about $9.99 per book, they seem to have played it neutral here.

Our decision
No brainer for us, Kindle 3 is my e-reader, as it scores over Nook on 4 of 5 critical things for me. On the cost, I am okay spending the extra $15 for the advantages I get.

Buy/ NOW: If you like our transparent review, help us by buying here:


Detailed Comparisons
Kindle WiFi & WiFi+3GNook WiFi & WiFi+3G
Cost
Price$139 for WiFi, and $189 for 3G+WiFi$149 for WiFi, and $199 for 3G+WiFi
ShippingNo, by default. But buy super saver items for $25Free
Product details
Weight8.5 ounces (241 grams)11.6 ounces (328 grams) 
Screen size6" diagonal6" diagonal
Overall size7.5" x 4.8" x 0.335" 7.7" x 4.9" x 0.5"
Warranty1yr limited warrantly and service1yr standard warranty
Network connectivity
WiFi
WiFi connectivityYesYes
Free WiFi accessYes. At AT&T hotspots.Yes. At AT&T hotspots.
3GNo/
Yes, based on the model you choose
No/
Yes, , based on the model you choose
Power options
Battery life
WiFi off1+ month10 days
WiFi on3 weeksNot Available
Charging
USBYesYes
Power adaptorYesYes
Full charge time~4.5hrs with adaptor~3.5hrs with adaptor
Reading experience
Heating upNo
Under sunlightEasyEasy
Storage~3500 ebooks (~3GB for users of total 4GB)1500 ebooks (2GB)
ArchiveAll books bought from Kindle store are archived in your Kindle library.
NarratorYesNo
PDF supportYes. NativeYes. Native
ViewsBoth potrait & landscape
Microsoft .doc supportMail to Kindle Id and view it.No
Native Localized text support
Chinese (Trad & Simplified)Yes
JapaneseYes
KoreanYes
Cyrillic (such as Russian)Yes
GreekYes
LatinYes
Selections
Best sellers107 of 111 New York times best sellers
Total books670,000+ ebooks1,000,000+ ebooks
Book prices80% books @ $9.99Many at $9.99
Best sellers prices65% @ $9.99
Free booksPre-1923's 1.8million books500,000+ ebooks
Free samplesYes. Read first few chapters freeYes
Other Features
Ebooks sharingYes
Web surfing & check emailsYes
Wikipedia accessYesYes. Through browser
DictionaryYes. Inbuilt New Oxford American DictionaryYes. Inbuilt Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary
Sharing in FacebookYes
Sharing in TwitterYes
Play GamesYes. Chess & Sudoku
MP3 playYesYes
Security
Password protectionYes


Buy/ NOW: If you like our transparent review, help us by buying here:

Enjoy real e-reading, Enjoy Kindle 3!!!
- BaSaL

   

No comments: